In an ideal world, most tech companies would prefer to have all their software development done by their own employees, in the same office, preferably in San Francisco.
But we’re not living in an ideal world, and you typically have to compromise within the real-life limitations (in no particular order):
- Can’t hire the talents with the right skills, or grow the tech team fast enough
- The resourcing needs go up and down, or the company has headcount restrictions preventing new hiring
- The latest fresh ideas and innovation don’t always live inside your own organization
- The budget doesn’t allow having the whole team in the same high-cost tech hub city
- You want to expand to new markets but realize that your own tech team doesn’t necessarily have the best insights, or the closeness, of the target markets on another side of the world
Working with external partners in software development is not often an option, but a necessity.
So why not make the best out of it?